Canada is a major destination for tourist, workers, students, and investors. The diverse culture, favourable government policies, and ideal business and study environment is a lure for thousands of immigrants yearly.
The Visitor’s Visa allows tourist to visit Canada solely for the purposes of leisure and tourism, activities contrary to these is a breach and you could face deportation. The Visitor’s visa is also known as Tourist visa, or Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and the validity is a maximum of 6 months.
There are two types of Visitor’s visa namely:
- Single entry visa: Single entry visa allows the holder to enter Canada once and leaves after the expiration of the visa
- Multiple entry visa: Multiple entry allows the holder to visit Canada for six months at a time without having to reapply every time. The multiple entry visa can be valid for up to 10 years.
Eligibility For A Visitor’s Visa
In order to qualify for a visitor’s visa, you will have to prove to the immigration officials that you satisfy the following requirements
- You are in good health
- You have a valid passport
- You have the financial resources to cater for your stay while in Canada
- You have other obligations outside Canada that will ensure you return to your home country after the expiration of your visa
- You have no intention or desire to seek gainful employment
- You do not pose a security risk
- You have no criminal record
- You do not pose a health risk
Applying For Visitor Visa
You can apply for the visitor’s visa either of the two ways
- Online: To apply online you will need a credit card, camera and a scanner in order to create a digital copy of your supporting documents
- Offline: Alternatively you can download the application form and fill out the relevant checklist. Note that the completed application form must include the barcode, and your application could be refused if you do not provide all the required information.
Pay The Required Fees
You are required to pay the visa application fee alongside other required fees. You can make payment through credit card, certified cheque or bank draft.
Visit The Local Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC)
After filling the form and paying the required fees, you should proceed to the local Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC) to submit your application. Ensure you carry along all relevant supporting documents, and proof of payment.
After submitting your application and paying the service charges, you will be issued a receipt which will contain a unique tracking number which you can use to track the progress of your application online.
Note: You may be required to submit biometrics depending on the country you are applying from. Your Visitor visa can be extended 30 days before the expiration.
Visitor Visa Application Fees
- Single entry visa: CA$100
- Multiple entry visa: CA$100
- Extension of Visitor Visa: CA$100
You should note that the application fees are non-refundable if your application is refused.
Canada Visitor Waiver Program
Citizens of the following countries are exempted from procuring a visa when entering Canada.
Antigua and Barbuda
Israel (National Passport holders only)
Korea (Republic of)
Latvia (Republic of)
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts and Nevis